The human body should always be in a balanced state. Every organ and system should maintain this equilibrium for the proper functioning of the body. Indian head massage focuses to sustain this balance. Indian Head Massage is a holistic practice that makes use of acupressure massage for the release of stress accumulated on the tissues, head, face, neck, shoulder, and muscles and joints.
What is Indian head massage?
Indian head massage is based on the Ayurvedic system of medicine, which was originated in India and has been practicing in India for more than 1000 years. It is a complementary therapy used widely. In view to make the holistic approach more accessible to people everywhere, it is more popular in Western countries. There is always an intricate connection between the body and mind. Following this principle, Indian head massage can advance your mental and emotional health in addition to your physical health.
As indian head massage mainly follows Ayurvedic science, this traditional practice mainly concentrates on various parts such as the head, face, neck, shoulder. A variety of techniques are used for the therapy, which includes.
- circular massage strokes on your scalp
- deep tissue work on your shoulders.
- stretching the neck
Benefits of Indian head massage
- Balance of energy levels, with the 3 “chakras” (body, mind, and spirit).
- Promotes hair growth – indian head massage stimulates blood flow to the hair follicles. Stress can cause the scalp to become tightened, which can restrict blood flow. Regular massage provided will increase the oxygen supply which in turn promotes health, growth, and nourishment to the hair to look strong and shiny.
- Prevents headaches and migraines -massage promotes relaxation by releasing tension.
- Stimulates lymphatic drainage- thereby eliminating toxic products from the body.
- Relieves stress – promotes memory boosting and concentration.
- Enhances sleep.
- Relieves anxiety and depression – promotes relaxation and the feeling of serenity.
- Soothes the sinuses – removes the blockage to sinuses by applying massage over the pressure points (especially along the cheekbones).
- Efficient circulation of cerebral spinal fluid (CSF)
- Eases eye strain – Massaging around the eyes refreshes eyes by decreasing tiredness making the eyes more relaxed and rejuvenated.
Our osteopaths are well-trained to provide Indian head massage in its gentle and relaxing manner, which helps you feel more revitalized by eliminating the headache, pain, stress, etc, and more energized. As it suggests indian head massage focuses on the head area.
Procedure of Indian Head Massage
A complete medical and treatment history will be taken by the Osteopath before the treatment, all about your lifestyle and regarding any pain you are experiencing. It is an important criterion to be noted before selecting the technique. The oil used is an important part of a good indian head massage, the oil will also help soften the skin.
You will not be undressed before treatment. You will be fully dressed during your indian head message treatment.
Seated in the massage chair in a relaxed posture, the treatment starts. Osteopaths use gentle movements like stroking, kneading movements of the scalp, neck, and shoulder in addition to the gentle stimulation of the pressure points of the face.
As the massage treatment progresses, the person experiences a slowdown in respiratory rate, and by the end of the session, the person develops overall peace of mind and deep relaxation.
Treatment starts along the shoulder area, progressing towards the upper back area. Massaging is carried out to relieve stress and tension as this area holds more tension. Massage over the scalp is then carried out along the acupressure points of your head. Gentle massage over the eyes and forehead is also done accordingly.
Specialties of our service during the procedure:
Duration of session: 30-45 min.
Our osteopaths may ask you to sit for an additional period of 10 minutes to make you more relaxed and to avoid fatigue and weakness immediately after the relaxing holistic treatment.
Oil is mostly rubbed in the scalp during the treatment. The texture of your hair is also kept in mind by our osteopath before starting the practice as it improves the strength and shining of your hair in the future.
Indian Head Massage Post-procedure
After the procedure, it is good to take a rest for about 10 min or more to make you feel more relaxed. After a good indian head massage you will feel so relaxed, you will need this time to rest.
Tell your osteopath in advance:
- If you are pregnant or might be pregnant.
- Medical details should be discussed with our osteopath and the medication and treatment you receive.
- Allergic history (particularly, skin allergies) should be noted.
- Surgical history, regarding any injury or operation (especially a head or neck surgery), should be informed.
- A person with a history of thrombosis and embolism is contraindicated from taking Indian head massage.
- If you are suffering from spondylosis or spondylitis should avoid massage around your neck and shoulder.
- Broken skin, scars, and sores should be kept in mind, as it imparts an effect on the oil used for treatment.
- Indian head massages might be contraindicated for people with certain health conditions or issues. So better consult with a GP before initiating the treatment procedure.
Things to Avoid prior to an Indian Head Massage
- Heavy meal should not be eaten directly by a person before undergoing treatment.
- Make sure to avoid the consumption of alcohol at least 5 hours before the treatment starts.
Sometimes, muscle pain or tiredness may be experienced by the client immediately after the procedure. But these may last only for a few hours or less after which he/she will experience an increase in energy.
The strong smell of the essential oils used for massage may make your hair smell nice, but extraordinarily strong. So, it is advised to wash your hair after treatment.
We, at Richard’s Osteopaths, are enriched with specialists who could release your stress, increase calmness and light-headedness and enhance your peace of mind by providing you the best massaging techniques.