Can’t see your Osteopath for hands-on-treatment for headaches?
Perhaps this might help…
Common causes of headaches:
- Excessive caffeine intake;
- Tension/Postural strains;
- Skipped meals;
- Lack of sleep or change in sleep patterns; and
- Alcohol consumption…
What can you do?
- Make sure you are drinking enough fluids. If you are working from home, try keeping a glass of water next to you and sip throughout the day. Keeping an eye on the colour of your urine is a good indicator of your hydration (Too dark? Drink more!).
- Stress during these ‘unprecedented’ times is likely. Everyone has their own ways of managing their stress; You could try yoga, mindfulness or meditation practices, exercise, reading, talking through stressors with friends or family (remotely), or writing down your thoughts.
- Tension headaches are commonly caused by tightness in your neck, shoulders, or jaw. Be mindful of consciously relaxing these areas periodically throughout the day. Regular breaks from “make-shift” at-home workstations are also important. You could also try applying a heat pack to the muscles across your shoulders (*maximum 10 minutes, once per hour*) or try relaxing in a hot shower or bath.
- It is important to try to keep some routine to your day. This includes meal timings and sleep patterns. This will help stabilise energy levels and prevent unnecessary stress on your body.
- Try to keep alcohol consumption to recommended guidelines…
Need further advice?
Book in for a Virtual Video Appointment with one of The Richards Centre Team.
If you develop a sudden severe headache, the worst headache you have ever experienced, or a headache with associated symptoms such as confusion, loss of function on one side of the body, or disruption in sight, taste, or speech please ring 999 immediately.
For more info and advice, join us over on our Facebook Page!