‘Pain in your foot shows in your face’?
Chiropody Podiatry: Did you know that on average our feet take us through 6,000 steps a day? That’s over one and a half million steps a year, the equivalent of five times round the earth in an average lifetime. Imagine the blisters, corns, callus, bunions, hard skin, cracked heels, nail problems and sprained ankles, not to mention knees, hip and back problems that trip costs us.
Feet are probably the most neglected part of our body and yet they are one of the most important. If you’ve ever had foot problems you know how physically and mentally debilitating they are.
Between 75% and 80% of the adult population have some form of foot problem at any time. Just like you care for your teeth, wouldn’t it be better to combine a home routine with professional care, to prevent pain?
The foot is complicated, containing 26 bones, over 30 small joints, and more than 100 muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves and blood vessels, and they all need to work together to keep you moving.
Podiatrists are uniquely trained to assess, diagnose and manage all conditions affecting the foot and ankle. Even problems with knees, hips and backs can originate with the feet.
Whether your feet are feeling tired and sore or you have a specific problem and want advice, chiropody can help:
We believe that the key to long-term foot care is in the examination. Spending time looking for the cause of the problem means more effective treatment:
- This is why on your first visit after taking a medical history
- Your feet are thoroughly examined and checked for ANY problems you might not even be aware of.
- A treatment might also include a check of how the joints of your feet interact when sitting, standing or walking.
- More importantly from this we are able to establish a routine foot care plan, tailored to you, that will keep your feet at their peak
- Corn & callus removal – Callus (“hard skin”) is unsightly and uncomfortable. If left it can crack or develop into painful corns. Corns and callus can be painlessly reduced so that your feet will look and feel like new.
- Nail problems – Painful ingrown toenails need immediate treatment. Thickened nails are difficult to cut and become uncomfortable. Fungal nail infections and corns under the nail are both increasingly common and all of these nail problems can be expertly treated.
- Verruca treatments – Verrucae are caused by a virus and are contagious. Treatment reduces pain and the chance of them spreading.
- General treatment – You don’t need to have particular problems to benefit from this, but nails can be trimmed, hard skin gently removed, and the feet moisturised. A popular treatment to tidy feet up and leave you walking on air!
Chiropodists and podiatrists, deal with the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of the lower limb and are qualified to treat people with arthritis, diabetes, nail surgery and sports injuries. They work with people of all ages but play a particularly important role in helping older people to stay mobile and, therefore, independent.
The term Podiatrist is protected which means that the title can only be used by practitioners who are registered with the HCPC (regulatory body for all Allied Health Professions).
Whilst the scope of practice as a chiropodist is concerned with the foot only…………….
PODIATRY is the speciality concerned with the diagnosis and or medical, surgical, mechanical, physical or other treatment of the diseases, injuries and defects of the human foot.
A podiatrist is a medical specialist trained in the treatment of the lower limb. The greatest difference between a traditional chiropodist and modern day podiatrist is the fact that the entire lower limb (from the hip down) is treated by a podiatrist whilst the scope of practice of a chiropodist is concerned with the foot only
We now offer:-
- A range of treatments for verrucae
- Evening and Saturday Nail surgery available
Click here for information on Nail Surgery